"ACADEMIA WITHOUT WALLS"
"The next Paradigm does not deny materialism. It simply says consciousness came first."
Please visit Dr. Morse's new website
Learn about his new work on the science of spirituality and spiritual transformation
5268 G Nicholson Lane #277
Kensington, MD 20895
(Almost all of the articles are available in Pdf format)
Remote Viewing Articles and Books Click Here
Energy Healing Articles and Books Click Here
Near Death Experience and Parapsychology Articles and Books (Click Here)
Spirituality and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Treatment Click Here
Grief and Loss Resources Articles and Books Click Here
Dr. Morse's Articles, Book Chapters, Scientific Papers Click Here
Our spiritual wisdom and understanding is greater when we understand how the brain works. We can then use it to its greatest advantage to understand our relationship with a "god", facilitate energetic healing, mind-body healing, and medical applications of controlled remote viewing.
The Paradigm Shift has already occurred! The long awaited reunion of science and spirit is already occuring. New advances in science including information theory and functional neurogenesis have in turn led to new understandings which give a scientific context for spirituality.
John Peter Thompson and I have developed a theory of consciousness as being an ecosystem. Complex systems theory explains how right and left brain consciousness work together to create a link to our higher consciousness. Is Intuition the metaphoric equivalence of rain? Read on! Information theory, chaotic systems and complex systems theory finally give us a theory to understand spirituality and the so called paranormal.
1. Introduction to Spiritual Neuroscience (click here) My blog on what is spiritual neuroscience and why should you care.
2. The story of Angela Ronson who was in coma for seven years and made an extraordinary recovery. (click here) She suffered massive brain damage after a stroke and still recovered with personality and memory intact.
3. The Neuroscience of how Consciousness Heals the Brain. (Or can a Dead Brain think?) (click here) (with scientific references)
4) The Neuroscience of our brains connection to the Universe (click here)
5) Controlled Remote Viewing: The Window Into the Near Death Experience Kari Beem Research Foundation Position Paper (click here)
6) Click here to read "Positive Aspects of Dissociation" by Melvin Morse Spiritism and Mental Health: Practices from Spiritist Centers and Spiritist Psychiatric Hospitals in Brazil October 2011
5) Morse ML, Beem L, Schwartz SA: A Triple Blind Study of the Non Local Perception of Plants Infected with Tobacco Mosaic Virus Abstract accepted for Science of Consciousness 2011 Click Here
1. David Hufford PhD: Professor Emeritus at Penn State. He wrote an important book The Terror That Comes at Night. This is his Templeton Address in which he outlines defining Spirituality as meaning the recognition of real Spirits Click Here
2. Julio Peres PhD: His goal is to integrate psychotherapy and neuroscience. I share your goal Dr. Peres! He is a Spiritist
2A: Peres J: Psychotherapy and Neuroscience Click here
2B: Dr. Peres is a Brazilian Neuroscientist who did his post-doctoral work at The Center for Spirituality and the Mind at the University of Pennsylvannia. Click here for his website
3) Donald Hoffman PhD: Never seen an Angel? We create this reality out of only 2-5% of what we see (click here) Cognitive Visual Neuroscientist
3A: Hoffman D: Conscious Realism and the Mind Body Problem a reprint of his Mind and Matter Article vol 6(1) 87-121 Click here
4) Healing The Hardware of the Soul Free Press 2002 Danial Amen MD: The Spect Scan King, also author of outstanding books on ADHD. Healing the Hardware of the Soul. Dr. Amen's premise is that healthy brains are kind, loving brains connected to "god". He is a Christian, and makes that clear in the book. Filled with vitamin, dietary advice, medication suggestions, and neuroscience.
5) Broughton R: Symposium: Psi and the Nervous System-Brain Hemisphere Specialization and ESP: What Have We Learned? Paper of the 26th Annual Parapsychological Conference 1993 Click Here
6) Broughton R: Psi and the Two Halves of the Brain Journal of the Society for Psychical Research. vol 48 no 765 September 1975 Click Here for PDF
7) Achterberg J, Cooke K, Richards T et all: Evidence for Correlations Between Distance Intentionality and Brain Function in Recipients: A Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging Analysis. Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medicine Vol 11 (6) 2005 Click Here
8) Broughton R: Why do Ghosts Wear Clothes? Memory, Emotion, and Psi. Click here for his article from European Journal of Parapsychology, 21(2), pp 148–165
9) Physicists are finally getting around to applying their theories to the human brain. This is an excellent article on top down causation, physics and the brain. Ellis GFR: Physics and the Real World Foundations of Physics Vol 36 No 2 February 2006 (click here for article)
10) Krippner S, Friedman HL: Mysterious Minds: The Neurobiology of Psychics, Mediums, and Other Extraordinary People Praeger 2010 Imprint of ABC-CLIO 2010
11) Leibovici L: The Effects of Remote Retroactive Intercessory Prayer on Outcomes in Patients with Bloodstream Infections: Randomized Controlled Trial British Medical Journal 2001 323: 1450-1451
12. The Journal of Nonlocality and Remote Mental Interactions. This apparently was active in 2005 and 2006 and is chock full of fascinating scientific articles. Click here to access their website
1) Jason Snyder PhD: Functional Neurogenesis: (Neuroplasticity) The New Science showing that thoughts can change our brains. His work and blog is the best of the cutting edge best. (click here)
2) Bradley Voytek PhD: has shown consciousness can heal strokes. (click here) He has also developed a research tool for Internet searches. One of the best general blogs on the new neuroscience.
3. Tideliar: He's irreverent! His picture has him defiantly smoking a cigarette. He once swore at me on Twitter and called me "delusional". Yet he will mature into one of the most profoundly spiritual neuro-scientists in our era. He and/or Jason Snyder have my vote to be one of the most influential neuroscientists 20 years from now.
Click here for his Blog: It might not be what you are expecting, but it is both hilarious and hard science.
1..The Brain Gym: Michael Merzenich MD teaches us how to redesign the brain (and help autism) Click here Posit Science Website
2) Lauren Silbert: Mind Meld: Princeton neuroscientist shows how we anticipate what others will say. Click Here for article from Proceedings of the National Academy of Science
3) Miller G: Mistreating Psychology in the Year of the Brain The coming integration of consciousness and the material brain (click here)
4) Scientific American article on Dark Brain Energy, a newly discovered energy only found when the brain is at rest Click Here
5) The Brain that Changes Itself Norman Doidge Viking Books 2007. Unbelievable book. A scientist teaches blind people to retrain their brains to see. A woman with half a brain acts as if its a whole brain, and many more.
6. Near Death Experiences are an Electrical Surge in the Dying Brain
Click Here for link to Abstract: Unfortunately, it costs $10 to read the actual article, Published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences vol 10 no 35 14432-14437 2013. And an additional $10 to read Bruce Greyson's response to the article.
However, my position is that these articles support the concept that NDEs are "real". I realize that most scientists think that finding a neurophysiological correlate to the NDE makes it "just in the brain". If we accept that consciousness uses the brain as a tool to operate within this reality, then finding an electric surge at the point of death in fact would support the concept that NDEs are "real".
1. Decapitated laboratory rats in the Netherlands show a burst of EEG activity after death. Supports a previous study done at George Washington University showing a burst of EEG activity in humans at the point of death. Click here for report.
2. Sleep paralysis, vestibular motor stimulation and out of body experiences: Cortex Nice discussion of what is the soul, and naturalistic explanations of out of body experiences.
3. Foreign Language Syndrome: Very odd phenomena where people are unconscious, suffer head injuries, or are under anesthesia, wake up and have a foreign accent. For life! Here is a nice article on it, also also cross wirings of brain Such conditions would seem to imply a "master" foreign accent program that can become superimposed over the brain's ordinary function, in turn implying consciousness can restructure the brain. For a skeptical view of this syndrome, here is a nice article Click here
4. Tibetan Chants using a second voice It is accepted that humans have two separate streams of consciousness. When I read this article, I wondered if this isn't the ultimate in hemispheric coherence, they have the ability to chant and/or speak with both voices at the same time. Click here for article
5. The Decline Effect: It has been documented in numerous disciplines that when observational studies are repeated years later, the study results drop off significantly. These are studies from human psychology to biology. At the least, it calls into question the validity of the scientific method. One explanation for this is that reality is changing and we are unaware of it. Click here for the original New Yorker article (pdf) Click here for second thoughts on the controversy Click here for Respectful Insolence's take on the issue
6. Unreliable Research: Trouble in the Lab: The science that has so stridenly opposed spirituality is itself now in trouble. It has become so narrow in its focus and so fundamentally corrupt in its basic principles, that many studies are suspect. Scientists are leaving the US in droves for more scientifically open and free environments. Click here for article in New Economist
1. Hmmm, turns out we don't have a photographic memory of faces. Instead we encode faces mathematically and then store them in "face space". And where IN the brain IS face space? Click Here Discovery Magazine Article on how humans "see" faces.
2. Davies D, Gregersen NH: Informaton Theory and the Nature of Reality Cambridge University Press 2010 (Extremely important book)
3. Auletta G, Ellis GFR, Jaeger L: Top Down Causation by Information Control: From a Philosophical Problem to a Scientific Research Programme Journal of Royal Society of Interface (2008) 5 pp 1159-1172 Click here for article
I first proposed that memories could be storied outside the human brain in Where God Lives, in 2002. It raised a storm of controversy, except that there is no current theory of how memories are stored IN the brain. Alan Gauld, in Irreducible Mind (2006) states that "the idea that memories are stored within the brain is a neuroscientic dogma unsupported by evidence." So how could memories be stored outside the brain?
1. Seth Lloyd PhD Physics at MIT states that the Universe is a giant computer. No, not a metaphor, an actual computer processing information. And he says this has been known for over 100 years starting with our understanding of Entropy. Click Here for Part 1 and here for Part 2 of his discussion of this.
2. Article on "Are Memories Stored Outside the Brain" presenting a mathematical model that supports this concept. If Universe is a computer, then Dr. Prince's mathematical model presumably could be operated by the Universe. Our own John Peter Thompson has vetted this article. (click here) Article is from Journal of Nonlocality and Remote Mental Interactions.
1. Advantageous gambling decisions were shown to be based on a "non conscious" step coupled with anticipatory skin responses. Bachara A, Damasio H, Tranel D, et al: Deciding Advantageously Before Knowing the Advantageous Strategy Science 28 February 1997 Vol 275 no 5304 pp 1293-1295 Click Here
2. Article in Surgical Clinics of North American states that both intuition and prescience (the ability to see the future) are part of surgical decision making! Marshall J: Surgical Decision Making: Integrating Evidence, Inference and Experience Surgical Clinics of North America Volume 86, Issue 1 February 2006 Pages 201-215 Click here to read article
3. Schwartz S: Non-locality and Exceptional Experiences: A Study of Genius, Religious Epiphany, and Psychic Explore 2010 6:227-236 Click here for article
4 Schwartz S: Genius (with a discussion of intuition and non-locality) Explore Jan/Feb 2009 vol 5 (1) Click here for article
5. Why Doctors Use Treatments That Do Not Work (ed) British Medical Journal 328 28 February 2004 474-475 (click for pdf) A reminder of why we must precisely define the difference between intuition and reliance on ritual, superstition, medical models of disease that are non-scientific and wrong, and the hardening of the brain often passed off as "experience".
6. Bradley RT: The Psychophysiology of Intuition: A Quantum Holography Theory of Non-local Communication. World Futures 63 61-97 2007 (click here for PDF)
7. Paul Bernstein's Awesome Book Chapter on Intuition (Click)
8. We have two independent streams of consciousness, one logic/analytic based and the the other intuitive/sensory based. Here is a cool picture explaining why and the benefits/weaknesses of each stream of consciousness. Click Here
1. Neuroquantology: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Neurology and Quantum Physics. My mentor Vernon Neppe MD PhD publishes in it, so it must be great. Click here to check it out
2. Josephson BP, Pallikari-Viras Fotini: Biological Utilization of Quantum Nonlocality Foundations of Physics Vol 21 1991 197-207 (Click here for Pdf) The problem is that physicists are writing these kinds of articles and neuroscientists aren't.
3. Bradley RT: The Psychophysiology of Intuition: A Quantum Holography Theory of Non-local Communication. World Futures 63 61-97 2007 (click here for PDF)
4. Birds can sustain quantum effects for at least 10 seconds and perhaps use entanglement to navigate. If birds can use non-local processes, why not humans: Gauger EM, Rieper E, Morton JJ et all: Sustained Quantum Coherence and Entanglement in the Avian Compass. Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 040503 (2011)
1. Dean Radin has kindly supplied this list of articles having to do with EEG findings and telepathy. click here for list
2. Psi and SPECT scans: Alexander CH, Persinger MA, Roll W et all: EEG and SPECT Data of a Selected Subject During Psi Tasks: The Discovery of a Neurophysiological Correlate Proceedings of Presented Papers: The Parapsychological Associations 41st Annual Convention pp 3-13 Click for Pdf
1. Lanius RA, Williamson PC, Boksman K et al: Brain Activation During Script Driven Imagery Induced Dissociative Responses in PTSD: A Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging Investigation Biology and Psychiatry 2002 52 305-311 Click here for Pdf
2. Near Death Experiences as a type of dissociation: Krippner S, Powers SM (eds) Broken Images, Broken Selves, Dissociative Narratives in Clinical Practice Brunner/Mazel 1997 Washington DC Chapter Seven: (yes by the MAN!) Greyson B: Near Death Naratives pp 163-180 Click here for Pdf
3. We really don't understand dissociation and may have entirely the wrong idea about it! Spitzer C, Barnow S, Freyberger HJ: Recent Developments in the Theory of Dissociation World Psychiatry 5:2 2006 82-86 Click here for Pdf
1. Non-locality within the brain with regards to color vision.
This "curious effect" has been known since 1973.
Wachtler T, Albright TD, Sejnowski TJ: Nonlocal interactions in color perceptions: nonlinear processing of chromatic signals from remote inducers. Vision Research 41 (2001) 1535-1546 Click here for Pdf
The Great Book of Nature can be read only by those who know the language in which it was written, and this language is mathematics" Galileo
"What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a Universe?" - Stephen Hawkings
"The Holy Spirit is mathematics and the glue that holds the Universe together" - Angela Ronson
ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PAGE
1. Links to my articles on Spiritual Neuroscience.
2. Articles by Scientists who support Spiritual Neuroscience.
3. Articles and links on Functional Neurogenesis
4. Articles with implications for Spiritual Neuroscience.
5. Mainstream Science Articles of interest.
6. Information Theory
7. Memory outside brain?
8. Intuition & Neuroscience
9. Quantum Theory
10. Parapsychology and Neuroscience
11. Dissociation and Neuroscience
12. Nonlocal consciousness and the Brain
WHAT IS SPIRITUAL NEUROSCIENCE?
Spiritual neuroscience is a scientific model for "top down causation" meaning that consciousness uses the sacred and astonishing mind-brain-body to interact with this Universe. Consciousness uses the brain as a "tool" to interact with this reality.
John Peter Thompson has applied complex systems modeling (Turing model of complex systems) to understanding consciousness.
We have developed a model of reality which is scientifically and mathematically sound and fits within current scientific understandings. We show that our brains are specifically designed to interact with "non-local reality", "the all information timeless space-less domain", or "god", depending on your specific terminology.
Our model is that consciousness is a complex system that arises out of the two streams of human consciousness known (in a very simple format) as the right and left brains. This higher complex system then feedbacks to the lower system. Specifically this occurs to the left brain as the "internal narrator" or chattering monkey. This feedback comes to our right brain in the form of "intuition", "remote viewing", and energy healing.
Click here to read two scientific papers that are the cornerstones of our new theory.
1. Ellis GFR: Physics and the Real World Foundations of Physics Vol 36, no 2, February 2006 Click here for pdf
2. Auletta G, Ellis GFR, Jaeger L: Top Down Causation by Information Control: From a Philosophical Problem to a Scientific Research Programme Journal of the Royal Society Interface 2008 5, 1159-1172
Cognitive Neuroscientist Don Hoffman's Conscious Realism
Conscious realism is the philosophy embedded in Spiritual Neuroscience. It states that consciousness and life itself create material reality. We need this material reality to interact with each other and learn our lessons of love.
I am inspired by physicians and thinkers such as Robert Lanza and Marlene Nobre who state that consciousness is a fundamental property of the Universe. The brain, under this new Paradigm, is what consciousness uses to interact in this reality. Time, space, and the material world are simply tools of the brain to understand reality.
3. Click here for a skeptical analysis of Dr. Lanza's work. The Skeptic is, of course, anonymous as they usually are. However this article is lots of fun even if its pretty vitriolic.
George Gallup Teaches Us That Spirituality is Normal
The Gallop Polls From 1990-2005 in Both England and The United States Document That
1. 40-50% of the population have had a profound spiritual experience.
This experience has made the person more ethical, less afraid of death, more confident.
Types of experiences include:
occurring in nature
listening to music
experiencing a "god" or angel
transcendent merging with the Universe.
2. 15% of the population have had a near death experience of some kind, meaning a premonition, shared dying experience, near death experience or after death communication.
3. 7% of the population have had an actual near death experience.
4. 5% of the population have had an out-of-body experience.
Spiritists are followers of Allan Kardec. They are typically physicians, neuroscientists, other professionals who are also energetic healers and mediums. They have already integrated spirituality and medicine for over a hundred years.
They have a long tradition in the intellectual elite of Brazil, but now are influential world-wide. The US Medical Spiritist Association recently had its third National Conference at George Washington University School of Medicine, in June 2011.
Click Here for a Portugese Version of my discussion of their leader Marlene Nobre
Why Do All the Old Farts Have to Die Off Before New Ideas Can Take Hold?
5268 G Nicholson Lane #277
Kensington, MD 20895