Warning: This blog really contains rank speculation, and lots of fun! On the other hand, I published this first in Closer to the Light almost 20 years ago. I have gotten dozens of letters which go like this: “I am a big smart person who knows all about ancient Egypt, and this is all bullshit.” I then write back to them, and say: I will buy you dinner for two at your favorite restaurant if you will tell me EXACTLY what facts are wrong, and your references.’ So far no one has earned that dinner.
(Although Eugene Williams, a modern version of an ancient Egyptian King, might do so, as he is the most knowledgable person on Egypt I inow. How about this Eugene, I will buy you dinner at a moderate priced restaurant (less than $100, if you will review this, and comment, right or wrong!)
Deep in an underground chamber, a solemn group of men are seeking guidance from death. They are dressed in white, and chanting softly around a casket that is sealed with wax. After nearly eight minutes, the casket is opened. A man who has been nearly suffocated, is revived with fresh air. He tells the men surrounding him what he saw. If they approve of what they hear, he lives, and becomes the King of Egypt.
Sounds like a hippie cult in Southern California? A new way to get high. Not at all. This was the cult of Osiris,a small society of men who were the priests and pharaohs of ancient Egypt. This account is an actual description of their rites by Egyptologists.
Each King was supposed to be a direct re-incarnation of their first King Osiris. This ritual was their initiation into becoming a King. My guess is that many slaves perished while the Egyptians experimented with the precise length of time to seal the would be King in the air tight container, and still survive.
How Did They Come to Learn This Initiation Into the Light?
If this were something that the Egyptians just stumbled into, or learned from other cultures, then we would find a record of it in other civilizations of the time. But this initiation rite appears to be unique to the Egyptians. It is stunning how quickly Egyptian civilization exploded into history fully formed at the apex of sophistication. Their technology has only been rivaled in current times. Their physicians were sophicated, understanding germ theory and surgery. They had the full range of specialists that we have today. Herodotus even made the same jokes we make today, when he said that the Egyptians have a physician for the right leg and one for the left leg!
In our modern day scientific arrogance, we tend to dismiss ancient histories and myths as fabrications. Yet archeologists have documented again and again that these ancient stories frequently contain startlingly accurate information.
In Egypt, there is the myth that an advanced civilization existed inland. From this advanced African civilization, came Osiris and Thoth, sailing down the Nile, to Egypt. They brought with them the secrets of astronomy, medicine, the law and agriculture. Herodotus acknowledges that Egypt was far more advanced in these areas than Greece at the time he visited Egypt.
Herodotus traveled inland and continually heard the same stories and myths about an advanced civilization, “of magicians” and a high degree of culture. He did not find it, but recorded the oral history of many different tribes and places in Africa, all saying essentially the same thing.
The human brain has existed in its current form for at least a 100,000 years. Why are we so quick to assume that they were primitive and incapable of creating advanced civilizations. 100,000 years is long enough that many such civilizations in Africa could have existed.
Perhaps Osiris and Thoth came to Egypt with the knowledge of a previous advanced civilization, as well as the knowledge of the means to induce the NDE as an initiation for the would be King. Given that the transformation of the NDE is greater love, wisdom, empathy, and heightened intellectual abilities, it would certainly make sense to force the New King to have an NDE before ruling Egypt.
Did Moses Slay the Last of the NDE Kings
Well a lot of “ifs” and speculation here, but this is a distinct possibility.
1) The early Egyptians who knew the secret of the Osiris Initiation were overrun by foreign invaders from the North, called the Hyksos. After many hundreds of years, they were expelled. During this period of time, the secret of the Osiris initiation was lost, and Kings no longer underwent this initiation.
2) No one knows if the Hyksos were the Jews. The events in the Bible are not supported by other archeological findings, or writings. However, there is discussion of one or even two great Exodus’s of the Hyksos, in which they were forceably expelled from Egypt. Egypt was then ruled again by home grown Egyptian Kings.
3) The Bible speaks of the Jews being slaves and freeing themselves and leaving. The Egyptian record of the Hyksos is that they were unwanted and hated foreign invaders who were overthrown through military action.
4) Everyone agrees that the early Egyptian kingdom was unusually peaceful and civilized. The early Egyptians were completely unprepared for war, and unable to defend themselves against aggressors, as they were too peace loving. If you have ever been to a IANDS meeting (the International Association of Near Death Studies, you will understand. Such people could create a wondrous society for themselves, but totally unable to even comprehend why others would want to kill and enslave them!)
5) When the Jews left Egypt, Moses killed the pharaoh of the time, and the pharaoh to be. The priests were also slain. There would have been no one left to remember the precise details of the NDE ritual.
6) It is historically true that during the time of the foreign invasive, the Osiris initiation was abruptly stopped, and never resumed.
Should Our Leaders Have a Similar Initiation?
There can be no doubt that the spiritual and intellectual transformation of the Near Death Experience is powerful. Our modern resuscitative technology and brain imaging could perhaps make this a very precise tool to induce wisdom and spiritual knowledge in our leaders.
I have no doubt that @LordKhem, someone I follow on Twitter would be delighted, in the name of science, to undertake the mission of bringing back the initiation ceremony of Osiris! There can be no doubt that the NDE initiation of the Egyptian Kings was an integral part of the corpos of knowledge upon which the greatest ancienty society in history flourished. Ancient Egypt existed as a great civilization for THOUSANDS of years. Think about that. Look what we have done to ourselves after a little over 200 years.
@LordKhem has over 8500 followers, most of them delusionally believing that he is in fact an ancient Egyptian King. Simply because his “avatar” is of an Egyptian god. As one of them said tellingly, a picture doesn’t lie.
@LordKhem is extremely (and properly so) proud of Egyptian civilization, and the great civilizations of Africa which preceeded it. I suggest that all his followers get together and create a great piece of performance art and re-enact the initiation ceremony of Osiris. If he survives, he should then be immediately made Vice President of the United States, or the Commissioner of Major League Baseball.
What do you say, oh great @LordKhem. Are you game?
Melvin L Morse MD